Tuesday 18 October 2011

Beginning of the Cold Season

I just love the cold seasons. Whistling winds blowing the remaining maroon and golden leaves under my toes, sunsets at dinner time and the Clementine and rose flavoured clouds on the horizon.  Thick tights, layering jumpers and sweaters, scarves and hats. They all are the signals of the best time of the year to come.

I've been looking up Winter recipes with root vegetables and spices and stocks. This is the season when my slow cooker earns it's keep.

One of my favourite end-of-summer dinners is my nan's stuffed marrow. Dad grows them in our back garden and we send them over to Nan a week before our feast, where she stuffs them with sausage meat and onion and sage stuffing.
Tomorrow, or even tonight if the meat is defrosted, I'll be cooking pork, apple and cider casserole.

I love shopping. Wandering around the supermarket picking up bits and bobs to keep me warm and full is great, but never as good as wandering around the local farmers' market with a wicker basket and my fingerless gloves, picking up bread from the bakery and locally cured meats... making my mouth water!
These thoughts of cold weather and markets makes me long for the Vancouver apartment I dream on having and the winter farmers' markets they have, the cold weather, the mountains and the sea - the terrain is very similar to Bangor, North Wales, where I live now. Is that a common thing? People endeavour to settle down in a place similar to their University city? Or even stay where they studied?
To the north west of Bangor is the Menai and the south east is home to Snowdonia.
To the north west of Vancouver is the Pacific Ocean and the south east is home to the Canadian Rockies.
Vancouver sounds like north west Wales on steroids (as far as the landscape goes).

I can't wait for the frost and the promised snow - that is until I need to walk up a rather steep hill to get to my lectures!

No comments:

Post a Comment